What to do when you're jet-lagged?

12 August 2014



... there were a lot of first times during our trip to Indonesia. 

The first long haul flight, first time outside of Europe, first broken suitcase, first jet lag. 

When we came back I woke up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep. I made a cup of tea in our cold and quietly eerie kitchen and sorted through the letters which accumulated over the past three weeks. I caught up with the news, having carefully avoided it while on the other side of the planet for the fear of feeling too far away from home to cope. 

4 am slowly appeared on my red alarm clock so I made a thermal mug of sweet tea, packed left over chocolates and I woke up J to watch the sunrise. It's been on my bucket list of things to do before we leave Edinburgh for good. 

We weren't the only ones on the Calton Hill. There was a cute (and very drunk) couple who decided to see the sunrise after a night of partying. She kept forgetting his name was George not Jerry. He was very fond of her, I could tell. 

We settled on the top of the hill and looked over the Firth of Forth in silence, the sky changing from grey to blue to orange and pink. The same sky that's hovering over the rice fields and seaweed farms in Indonesia. I sipped the sweet tea, J took some pictures. 

An ambulance sounded in the distance. I imagined fellow Edinburghers still in their beds, quietly breathing, allowed to dream for another hour or two.The sun rose and it was time to go back. 












most pictures taken by J. 

PS. How are you? It's been ages since I've written anything here. I'm currently in Warsaw doing my elective on a neonatal ward in one of the hospitals. I'll write about Bali and Indonesia soon... 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Are you back in Poland for good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, just for one month for my placement in neonatal ward in Warsaw. but we're thinking about moving back within a couple of years. hope you and the little one are well!

      Delete
  2. We're good, thank you. Marisa is 12 weeks tomorrow, how time flies! Hope you're enjoying your placement.

    ReplyDelete