Haar

1 April 2014

Definition // In meteorology, haar is a coastal fog. Haar is typically formed over the sea and is brought to land by wind advection. This commonly occurs when warmer moist air moves over the relatively cooler North Sea causing the moisture in the air to condense, forming haar*.


Edinburgh is a foggy city. Sometimes you can hardly see the next person walking in front of you on the pavement, so this wasn't the most extreme case of haar I've seen.

It adds to the atmosphere and makes me wonder what was it like to live here during medieval times.

It's also one of those things that people of Edinburgh unite over (at least in my mind they do), that makes you feel like a part of this city because you know that it happens and when it does you know where it comes from.

"Aah, It must be because of those two warm days we had last week.."

* source

3 comments:

  1. Even though all the fog is horrible to drive in and be in, it sure makes for gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like driving in fog but I don't mind going for a walk when it's foggy. One day I'd love to take a picture of a foggy field at sunrise. I've seen it many times back home in Poland but never had my camera with me.

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say thanks for a great post and to let you know I have shamelessly referenced it in my latest post http://leapingtracks.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/in-pop-land-it-is-always-sunny/ Hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete