My Edinburgh at dusk // Calton Hill

23 February 2014



Dear Edinburgh,

You do sunsets very well. Especially on cold days. Your skies can turn all shades of pink and dusky purple. Last Sunday at 16.38 we decided to go to Calton Hill to capture the light and silhouettes of your skyline. We had 30 minutes and parking in the city centre is not great, you don't do parking very well, that has to be said. It turned out that about 50 other people had the exact same idea and we were surrounded by tripods, people with much bigger lenses than ours and a loud chatter in at least 5 different languages. I didn't mind. I could just spot the Forth Road Bridge on the distant horizon, little ants of people on the summit of the Arthur's Seat, countless chimneys of New Town and toy-sized double-deckers on the South Bridge.

You didn't disappoint. I almost forgot about your never-ending road works, horizontal rain and how far we were from our families and friends. On evenings like this one, I count myself lucky to not be a tourist but a part of you. Even if I feel like a spare part sometimes, this year will mark 7 years since I started living here and probably one of the first few years when I started to call you home.

With a distant sound of an ambulance, we walked down the Calton Hill and went home.
 










10 comments:

  1. That first picture is so beautiful! I love sunset photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anna! Calton Hill is on the best spots in Edinburgh for sunsets

      Delete
  2. Lovely photography, such a beautiful city too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see Calton Hill from my flat - it's one of my favourite spots in the city. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky you.. I don't go there very often but every time I do I'm amazed at how far you can see from the top of the hill on a clear day.

      Delete
  4. wow some stunning pictures of Edinburgh here!

    ~ K
    bluehairinbelgium.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful! I have been wanting to visit Edinburgh, and these shots are making me want to pack up and get on ta flight RIGHT NOW :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Edinburgh is a great city to explore. perfect for a city break or a weekend.

      Delete
  6. I've just come across your blog and it's lovely! I spent 6 years in Edinburgh and you never get bored of how pretty it looks at dusk :-) X

    Fairyintheblossomtree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete