Do something awesome today // Edinburgh Printmakers

18 January 2014


Almost a year ago I had a chance to do a little bit of printmaking at Edinburgh Printmakers. I thought it was the middle of winter but it turns out it was March and winter just decided to make a little come back to Scotland.

Printmaking is something I've always wanted to try and hopefully will get to do more of in 2014. I've admired the work of Edinburgh-based printmakers and illustrators such as Mina Braun, Fiona Purves, or Robbie Porter   for a long time and it was exciting to finally see what it's all about.

I didn't have much time to prepare for the class so I quickly put together a typographic template in Photoshop. We were using a screen printing technique where ink is pushed through the stencil against the surface of the paper, using a squeegee. (I only had my phone camera so please excuse poor photos quality).

First I used a pencil to copy my design onto a transparent paper.



Then it was used to make a stencil. This involved developing the stencil using UV light and then washing it with water (which I haven't really undrestood, more classes needed me thinks!)



The best stage was choosing the paint colour - our group went for purple.

Pushing the paint through the stencil mesh is very satisfying. Now the prints just need to dry and are ready to be trimmed.

Ta-da!

I'm not  particularly happy with how it turned out but it was fascinating to see how screen printing works. I would love to do a series of classes at EP this year and become a member so I can work at the workshop on my own in the evenings.
^^noted.

Here is a website of Edinburgh Printmakers. They have a little gallery and a shop with art of local artists - worth checking if you're in Edinburgh.

Have you done screen printing or other form of printmaking before?

Address:
23 Union St, Edinburgh EH1 3LR


No comments: