On slow food and Cereal

14 September 2013




On Friday afternoon I came back from my hospital accommodation and I felt deflated. The past week has been full of studying, work, writing up case reports and I couldn't wait until weekend. When things I don't enjoy doing accumulate in a short period of time I find it all too tiring and uninspiring. Especially when it seems as though things will remain this way in the foreseeable future, one needs to find some sort of distraction or take time out.

This morning I woke up, watched a bit of Amelie on netflix, J made me granola with fruit and yoghurt for breakfast and the sun was shining. Finally, I had time to read the recent issue of the Cereal magazine. It's one of the new  lifestyle  magazines, I'm not yet sure if the form is not over substance in case of this issue, but it's beautifully printed on heavy weight paper so I didn't mind too much. Sometimes all this slow cooking, organic eating movements make me smile a little bit. It's almost too predictable that we've made a full circle and went from locally sourced foods to supermarkets era only to come back to basics and seek a slower pace of life with healthier local produce.

Where I come from (a small town 60 km south of Warsaw) we are still at the beginning of the circle: everyone knows which local farm sells the best fresh eggs, who makes the tastiest sausages and most families have their favourite secret spots for mushroom pickings in local forests (a national sport in Poland). And I still think that butter and milk from my local dairy is without rival. A part of me hopes that things will remain this way, but somehow the western ways seem all too attractive. I know that progress will mean supermarkets before people appreciate what we have at the moment and slow food movement will return balance only when it's the new trend, another western fashion reaching the east of Europe.

In Cereal I read about the new movements of edible flowers and why we should consider eating insects. The most interesting article was on the psychology of disgust. It turns out it's nurture that impairs our taste buds not nature. Nonetheless I was glad I was eating roasted oats not ants. There's nothing I enjoy more than an interesting article accompanied by good photography. So I guess there was some substance in the Cereal after all.


No comments: