Old wooden desk makeover: sneak peek.

1 August 2011


This weekend could be summarized in one word - sanding. Jakub spent half of the Saturday scrubbing and sanding our new-old desk (which I'm in love with). He claims he likes sanding and I don't mind him doing the not-so-fun part of this project. I hope it will be worth all the effort in the end and can't wait to start painting. Here is a sneaky peek of the desk on Sunday morning (half way through with sanding I'd say).



While J was working on the desk, I started my IKEA RAST project. RAST is probably the cheapest wooden (new) chest of drawers you can get and a perfect blank canvas for some DIY. Here are some of the pictures of the famous RAST transformations (or hacks) circulating on the web:

by Aubrey and Lindsay 
Dorothy Draper style by Nancy Marcus of Marcus Design


I wanted to go for a bit of a Scandinavian feel and I chose this image as my inspiration photo. I love how the walnut finish of the chairs contrasts with the stripes (and I love the stripes too). 



I'm not yet sure if I want to go for these colors for the drawers, but the frame of the chest is already coated with walnut finish woodstain. Here's what it looks like just now: 


Hopefully I will post an update on these two projects later on this week. 

Have you ever tried doing an IKEA hack? 

Have a good Monday!

*top picture by Tiger Hellstrom via Swedish Elle Interior

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Thank you for your lovely comment. yes, I am feeling alot better thanks. I've banished the Lego! Love this idea of hacking the Ikea chest of drawers... can't wait to see what it turns into! lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see what you do with that desk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We already bought the paint but sanding and preparation takes longer than we initially thought. I hope we'll finish it this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete