I was so excited about this project. It was relatively easy, and everything went smoothly until the very last steps i.e. the stripes. I used a ruler and a masking tape, made all the measurements and yet my lines are far from being crisp and one of them is off by about 3 cm. BUT I still love my new dresser and I'm going to leave it imperfect as it is (at least for now).
Here is what I did:
- I sanded the whole dresser (already assembled) with a fine sanding paper
- wiped it with a wet cloth and allowed to dry
- coated 3 times with the wood stain and sanded with fine sanding paper between coats
- painted the fronts twice with a white paint and sanded between coats
- painted stripes once and peeled off the masking tape about 25 minutes after painting (and was very upset the lines weren't crisp)
- I bought 4 ceramic knobs from Anthropologie and painted 2 knobs with the wood stain once
Time: preparation: 20 minutes, painting 1.5h plus waiting time between coats
Cost: about £20 (+ the dresser)
Overall, it was a very enjoyable project. I think I managed to achieve the scandinavian feel I was after and I don't even mind the not-so-perfect stripes any more. I think if anything it adds a little bit of charm (although I may or may not have called it a DIY fail at some point). I may still decide to remove the paint and make them nice and crisp one day.