IKEA dresser renovation project

5 August 2011






I was so excited about this project. It was relatively easy, and everything went smoothly until the very last steps i.e. the stripes. I used a ruler and a masking tape, made all the measurements and yet my lines are far from being crisp and one of them is off by about 3 cm. BUT I still love my new dresser and I'm going to leave it imperfect as it is (at least for now).



Here is what I did:

  • I sanded the whole dresser (already assembled) with a fine sanding paper
  • wiped it with a wet cloth and allowed to dry
  • coated 3 times with the wood stain and sanded with fine sanding paper between coats
  • painted the fronts twice with a white paint and sanded between coats
  • painted stripes once and peeled off the masking tape about 25 minutes after painting (and was very upset the lines weren't crisp)
  • I bought 4 ceramic knobs from Anthropologie and painted 2 knobs with the wood stain once

Time: preparation: 20 minutes, painting 1.5h plus waiting time between coats

Cost: about £20 (+ the dresser)

Overall, it was a very enjoyable project. I think I managed to achieve the scandinavian feel I was after and I don't even mind the not-so-perfect stripes any more. I think if anything it adds a little bit of charm (although I may or may not have called it a DIY fail at some point). I may still decide to remove the paint and make them nice and crisp one day.

Have you tried any IKEA hacks before?





1 comment:

  1. Super komódka. Bardzo fajny wzór geometryczny. Podoba mi sie to złudzenie optyczne. piszę ten komentarz drugi raz, bo mam wrażenie, że sie nie zapisał, choć napisałam wcześniej. Pozdrawiam. o. f.

    ReplyDelete